Friday, October 13, 2006

First of Few

With any luck I will write in this blog a couple of times and will stop because there is nothing worth writing. If I do write it will be about what’s going on with Rebecca, the kids and I while we get an understanding of what is going on with Rebecca’s health.

It’s is Friday afternoon, October 13th, yes, Friday the 13th.

Three months ago Rebecca had PET and CAT scans as we have been concerned about some swelling in her arm that we couldn’t explain. There was nothing found that could be attributed to the arm problem but an ‘anomaly’ was found in her chest area described as ‘under the zyphoid process’. After briefly discussing a surgical biopsy it was decided that ‘it was probably nothing’ and that we should just wait three months and have another set of scans. If the ‘thing’ was bigger it would be bad, but probably it would be gone.

Earlier this week Rebecca went in for her follow up scan. We had thoroughly convinced ourselves that there was nothing wrong so I went, as scheduled, on a business trip to New York on Thursday (yesterday).

I’d been in New York for a couple of hours when I got a call from Rebecca… Kaiser had called and said; “The spot on the lung seems to have grown and where there was previously one node inflamed under the zyphoid process there now seems to be several”

They never said anything about anything on the lung first time round… so is this all just a clerical error and Rebecca just got someone else’s results? Wouldn’t that be nice.

So I jump on a plane and returned from NY and here I am.

We know way too little at this point. The implication is presumably that she has metastastic breast cancer on her lung. We have NO idea what that might mean, how bad that might be, what the treatments might be, etc. It doesn’t even seem like we should go too far down thinking about that option until we actually know if that’s what the doctors are saying. They may be talking plura, it may be something else altogether.

So now it’s the weekend and we get to wait till we can start talking to the doctors again next week. I might try to call Kelly, Rebecca’s surgeon, right now.

We haven’t told the kids anything… what would we say? We aren’t telling anyone really, not until we know more, but people can catch-up by reading this if they want.

No comments: